Angelica

Angelica

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bidding for naming rights at the new Rams stadium has begun, and word is that no less than $30 million a year for a minimum 20-year deal will do.  The forthcoming $2.6 billion stadium, currently being built in Inglewood will eventually house the Rams and the Chargers.  Both teams have relocated respectively from St. Louis and San Diego.

 

The price is hefty, for sure, but still comes in less than the deal signed with Metropolitan Life Insurance for the MetLife Stadium, home of the New York Giants and Jets.  That deal averages an annual value of $17-$20 million over 25 years for a total value of $425-$625 million. 

 

So far, AT&T is the only known company seriously considering the offer, although it already has naming rights to the home arenas of the San Antonio Spurs, San Francisco Giants and Dallas Cowboys, and a top-level sponsorship at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.  

 

The telecommunications leader is apparently motivated by hyper competitiveness within the mobile service industry, and the fact that it is considering relocating to El Segundo.  This would put their offices within 5 miles of the new Inglewood stadium.

 

The Inglewood stadium will seat 80,000 sports fans, and is part of a 300-acre mixed-used complex, scheduled to open for the 2019 NFL season and serve as host for Super Bowl LV in 2021.

 

The $600 million minimum price tag as the title sponsor is not entirely unreasonable, insiders say because, like New York, Inglewood will have two teams playing at the same venue.  This ensures a home game every week of the NFL season.  

 

Since the Rams own the stadium, privately financed by owner Stan Kroenke, the Chargers won’t be getting any of the revenue from the stadium naming rights.  Actually, the former San Diego team will be leasing the stadium from the Rams for their home games.

 

 

On Tuesday, the U.S. Justice Department decided not to charge two white Baton Rouge police officers in the shooting death Alton Sterling.  That same day, former North Charleston police officer, Michael Slager, also white, plead guilty to violating the civil rights of Walter Scott, the unarmed motorist he fatally shot. 

 

It was justice for one family, injustice for another.  The men, both black, were black were killed within 15 months of each other by police. Both high profile cases were caught on cellphone videos and ignited massive protests.

 

Acquittals for Salamoni and Lake, Guilty Plea for Slager

 

 

On July 15, 2016, video showed Sterling pinned to the ground by police, face down and unable to move while one officer shot him point blank.  According to Baton Rouge police, Sterling was initially jolted with a stun gun after he didn’t comply with the officers’ commands to put his hands on the hood of a car. He was initially approached by police after a complaint that he had threatened someone with a gun outside a convenience where he sold homemade CDs.

 

The store’s owner has said Sterling wasn’t holding a gun during the shooting, but he saw officers remove one from his pocket afterward.  Officers said they saw Sterling try to reach for it before he was shot.

 

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for some of Sterling’s relatives, has said the family wanted an indictment.  Bamberg also represents relatives of Walter Scott, a 50 year-old, unarmed motorist who was stopped for a busted tail light, then shot in the back multiple times after getting out of his car and running away.  Michael Slager, a former North Charleston police officer, falsely claimed Scott tried to harm him and he shot in self-defense.  Cellphone video contradicts his statements.

 

Slager pleaded guilty to federal civil rights charges five months after a jury deadlocked on state murder charges against him.  According to The Post & Courier, a federal judge will now determine whether Slager committed murder or a lesser crime in a separate trial date that will be scheduled in the next coming weeks.

 

With regard to Sterling, the Justice Department’s decision doesn’t preclude state authorities from conducting their own investigation, and pursuing their own criminal charges.  

 

 

Hillary Clinton, Private Citizen

Thursday, May 04, 2017

With the gloves off and freedom from the daily media scrutiny of the campaign trail, Hillary Clinton appeared energetic and relaxed as she sat down with Christiane Amanpour on May 2.  She was the guest of honor at a luncheon for Women for Women International. 

 

As a private citizen, Clinton announced she is part of the movement to stop the policies of President Trump, who won more electoral votes.  "…I'm now back to being an activist citizen and part of the resistance," she said.

 

Commenting on foreign affairs, North Korea, and President Donald Trump's tweets, Clinton owned up to mistakes made during her campaign, and joked about the "excruciating" and "painful” process of writing her upcoming memoir.

 

While taking responsibility for losing the election, the former Democratic nominee was quick to point out that she got a lot of help.  She pointed to the letter FBI Director James Comey sent to congressional leaders in late October, saying the agency was reopening an investigation about the use of her private email server (He later announced there was nothing incriminating).  

 

"[I was] on the way to winning until a combination of Jim Comey's letter on October 28 and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me and got scared off," Clinton said.

 

She added, "If the election had been on October 27, I would be your president."

 

“The reason why I believe we lost," she said, "were the intervening events in the last 10 days." Clinton added, "Remember, I did win more than three million (popular) votes than my opponent. So, it's like, really?"

 

She also took a couple jabs at Trump’s inexperience in foreign affairs, specifically with regard to  North Korea.

 

"Negotiations are critical, but they have to be part of a broader strategy, not just thrown off on a tweet some morning," she said.

 

Alicia Keys and Selena Gomez came to rock the house at the Forum on April 27 with thousands of charitable students and educators.  The annual "WE Day" event returned to celebrate kids who are making a difference in their world through social activism, and to inspire others.

 

About 16,000 students from all over California converged at the Forum to celebrate everyday heroes.  Gomez hosted the day-long, star-studded celebration which included a guest appearance by the Muppets Fozzie Bear.   

 

She told ET in advance of the event:

 

"I think kids especially, with social media sometimes, they just feel a little claustrophobic, and I don't think their voice is actually being heard," she said. "I want people to know that every single life is valuable, that their voice can be heard, and that there are people who are willing to be there for them." 

 

WE Day is a celebration of youth making a difference in their local and global communities. WE Schools is the yearlong program that nurtures compassion in young people and gives them the tools to create transformational social change.Together they offer young people the tools and the inspiration to take social action, empower others and transform lives—including their own.

 

Since 2007, students involved with WE have raised $79 million for thousands of organizations, a rewarding result for the WE founders, humanitarians, activists and social entrepreneurs, brothers Craig and Marc Kielburger.   Craig Kielburger launched WE, formerly known as "Free the Children," when he was 12.

 

Alicia Keys was the headliner this year, and according to Twitter feeds, there could not have been a better choice.  The singer-activist’s amazing rendition of her hit ‘Holy War.’—complete with a live backup chorus—was considered one of her best performances yet. 

 

WE Schools provides helpful resources for educators and exclusive learning opportunities for students—including AP with WE Service and Aboriginal Programming. WE Schools also gives educators the opportunity to host perspective-changing speaking engagements in their classrooms, according to the website.  

 

Students earned their tickets by taking action on one local and one global issue.

 

Started over 20 years ago, WE set out on a bold mission: to work with developing communities to free children and their families from poverty and exploitation. Their vision expanded to include empowering youth at home, connecting them with global issues and social causes, and partnering with schools to inspire young change-makers from within the classroom. And with the launch of ME to WE, they created an innovative social enterprise that provides products that make an impact, empowering people to change the world with their everyday consumer choices.

 

For more information, visit we.org. "WE Day" airs on ABC this summer.

 

(Los Angeles)—Adolf Dulan, originally from Luther, Oklahoma, rested peacefully as he ascended on to a better place. Adolf was the self proclaimed “The King of Soul Food” in Los Angeles. Adolf and his family has reigned over the Los Angeles food scene for nearly 40 years. As a successful restaurateur, Adolf and the Dulan family started  Hamburger City in the 70s, Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch in the 80s and early 90s, and Dulan's Soul Food Kitchen, now managed by Terry Dulan and family. 

 

Adolf was committed to providing generous portions, good service, and food that reminds one of being at grandma’s for Sunday dinner for his patrons who live, work, and shop in Inglewood and surrounding areas. 

 

In the community, Adolf was recognized by many organizations and received numerous commendations including: Community Based Business of the Year Award by the Black Business Association, and most recently, 2016 Small Businessman of the Year from the Greater Los Angeles African American Chamber of Commerce. In addition, Adolf had been lauded by the California State Assembly, Congresswoman Karen Bass and US Representative Maxine Waters for his dedication to service and creating thousands of job opportunities in the community.

 

Adolf was very charismatic and easily made lifelong friends in local communities, and with notable celebrities Little Richard, Denzel Washington, Quincy Jones, and foreign dignitaries in foreign countries. Whether you were from South Africa, Australia, or even Germany, once you have come into contact with Adolf Dulan, you automatically felt that you were a member of his family and he always invited everyone into his "Kitchen" or "Back Porch" with his genuine smile. 

 

We will dearly miss the good times, laughter, and dedication of such a kind and genuine soul. Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for funeral arrangements.  Condolences for the Dulan's Family can be sent to 202 E. Manchester Blvd. Inglewood, CA 90301.

 

View Print Edition

 

Signup For Our Newsletter!

Sign up here to recieve our e-newsletter!